Author Topic: Am I seeing too many storms in one video?  (Read 3290 times)

evakaram

• View Profile
Am I seeing too many storms in one video?
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:21:31 pm »
Am a newbie at this but really would like to be useful...but, am finding it very difficult to see the storms. I marked one as a favourite, because to my eye there were a couple of storm events there and I don't think that's possible which means duh...I am reading it all wrong.

It would really help if a few videos could be made as reference for us, pointing out more in detail what is or isn't an event and some reasons. There is only one video on the main page telling us how to. Thanks.

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Am I seeing too many storms in one video?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:41:02 pm »
Hi,
Could you post the link to that favourite. That way we can take a look !
Welcome to SSW !  ;D

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:27:56 pm »
Hi evakaram, just wondering if you have seen both "how to" videos on the Spot page. And as Els says posting the link to the favourite you saved will help us. Here's how - under "The Posting Links to Videos" bit.

And welcome to Solar Stormwatch! ;D

evakaram

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:16:45 am »
Thanks. Yes I have done all the tests and checked out a lot of the 'how to' videos, plus ones on flikr. I also note that when I click on incoming,  I seem to be getting the same video many times, even though it says underneath that i am the first to see this video etc. If this is the case then it would seem our time is being wasted. Here is the link to the one I mentioned above which also seems to be the one I keep getting back to judge/play.

http://www.solarstormwatch.com/favourites/7535 

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:20 pm »
I think I saw 6 storms in that video. Incoming is updated with a new frame about every hour or so as it's a near real time feed direct from STEREO so if you look at Incoming several times a day the videos will look very similar. The trick is to look at the last few frames as this represents the current situation and you might see a storm develop over the course of a day. Users who identify the current storm in Incoming and Incoming Trace get their names on the prediction page. Consequently frames will disappear from the start of the video as new ones are added. Often there is a gap in the data either because it hasn't been received (some of the data in the beacon mode is obtained via amateur radio users) or due to a technical problem.

The Incoming feed does take a while to get the hang of but one you are tuned in it's possible to detect planets too.
Hope that helps! :)

If you have any other questions - just ask away!

evakaram

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:21:11 pm »
Glad you said you saw six storms...i was a bit shy to say thats about what I saw also. I thought I was doing something wrong. Ok so the good thing is I do recognise them (I think). It aint an exact science yet though  ;D

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 06:44:44 pm »
Quite!  :D

Sound like you've got the hang of this just right!