Author Topic: solar maximum  (Read 2823 times)

gammaray12

• View Profile
solar maximum
« on: November 01, 2012, 11:30:03 pm »
There have been sun spot clusters visible from earth without any magnification just this past week :o

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: solar maximum
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:56:00 pm »
Careful how you view those!

gammaray12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:58:31 am »
I view them with a welder's glass ;D

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:57:13 pm »
 :D
Just for interest I checked this out and those rated 14 or higher are fine. I'll stick with my solar scope - the only problem I have right now is lack of Sun! >:(

Michael Mozina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 02:08:59 am »
:D
Just for interest I checked this out and those rated 14 or higher are fine. I'll stick with my solar scope - the only problem I have right now is lack of Sun! >:(

I mostly restrict myself to SDO, and other solar satellite images.  I'm rarely complaining about a lack of sun that way, and it's definitely a safe way to view the sun. :)  I'm also a happy camper thanks to the recent uptick in EV activity.   There have even been some recent (as of today actually) 'dark filament' eruptions.  I tend to prefer the SDO 211A wavelength for picking out dark filaments, like the one that erupted today around the 11:00 position.

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/mpeg/latest_1024_0211.mpg

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 01:35:09 pm »
There's nothing to beat the thrill of seeing the Sun real-time through a solar telescope for me but I agree that the SDO images have several advantages. They don't suffer from cloudy weather - and the images and movies are astonishing.  8)