Author Topic: How often can I expect to see comets  (Read 5149 times)

TriDitty

• View Profile
How often can I expect to see comets
« on: September 15, 2012, 02:50:59 pm »
  Two of the first three (Dec 22nd, 2009 and Dec 29th, 2009) that I have looked at had what I saw as comets heading into the Sun. 

Should I try to make a note of comets or are they pretty much not a big deal.

Also, I am having some problems with the videos.  Once, the initial video clip had a message that told me that java script was not detected when I know that it is turned on, etc.

I am very very new to tracking it back and will search thru the other posts for answers if they are already posted.

Also, I love the clips from the last four cameras that are classified by temp according to color.  I can see the arcs that don't send anything into space just as well as the larger ones that do eject matter.  Very nice clips from them.  Are we supposed to mark their beginnings by the beginning of the arc or the beginning of the arc's ejection?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:14:24 pm by TriDitty »

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How often can I expect to see comets
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:06:59 pm »
Comets are fun to spot and collect (though I am rubbish at spotting comets!) You can check the Comet collection or the SSW Video Index to see if your comet it there. Do read the first post in the Comet collection as it contains information on how to ID your comet.

As for Track it Back - it's so slow on my computer that I can't play it. But you do need to mark the start of the storm as soon an you spot it leaving the Sun.

As for the Java glitch - make sure Java is up to date and if it continues let us know.

Angelly1333

• View Profile
Re:I just spotted a comet!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:25:01 pm »
 I need NASA right now! I just spotted a comet while I was doing a solar storm watch. The comets trajectory was definetly unclear. The video was goingto fast. I tried pausing it but  I couldn't pause it directly at whitch point it was. It was between the 15 second and the 16 second. The video is in my favourites it's red'( thee video was color red)  I need someone to agree with me before i send any information to NASA. Please check it out, it is urgent.

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How often can I expect to see comets
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:02:11 am »
Hi Angelly!  I love your enthusiasm!  We need to know what video you're looking at before we can go any further, if you go to the video in your favorites you can copy the link and share it with us.  The next step is to find the date of the video, and check to see if your comet has been spotted by anyone else before.  If you are really interested in finding comets, you may want to head over to the sungrazer's website for more information, they're dedicated to finding every single comet that SOHO and STEREO observe!

http://sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil/index.php?p=guide