Author Topic: An "Incoming!" question. To Behind or not to Behind  (Read 3385 times)

Rookwings

• View Profile
An "Incoming!" question. To Behind or not to Behind
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:07:25 pm »
Sometimes it is difficult to judge where the storm front is because of missing data in the Incoming games, but I do try to mark them as accurately as I can, sometimes by working out where it would be. I hope that isn't wrong.
But my question refers to the new CME appearing in "Incoming" today.
It can clearly be seen in BOTH images, but simply never seems to reach the blue dashed line in the Behind data video.
I feel as if it would be misleading to report that I can only see it in the Ahead video, but I cannot give it a blue-line time for the Behind video.
What is the best way to judge this situation, or what is the most useful, please?
I know I've been around for a year now, so maybe I should know better, but it's a problem that bothers me.  ???  :o

Tina
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:28:25 pm by Rookwings »

srcrothers

• Science Team
    • View Profile
Re: An "Incoming!" question. To Behind or not to Behind
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:09:16 pm »
Sorry we took a while to reply to this, its amazing how simple questions can be so difficult to answer.

Thinking of how the data is processed I think it would be better to mark the video as "both" and give your best guess as the data for B.  Just be prepared to take the velocity/direction information you are given with a good pinch of salt.

Steve

Rookwings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:26:53 pm »
Not to worry about the delay, Steve. It sort of ironed out for this occasion anyway, because the data resolved itself a few hours later.
Thanks for the advice.
That's what I have been doing. I considered the reason humans are used for this task is that we have the "edge" on interpretation. Otherwise you'd use computers for it.
We see patterns better than computers can, yes?

Tina

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:14:31 pm »
We see patterns better than computers can, yes?
Oh yes we can!
And that's exactly how I've been measuring storms too.