Author Topic: No new images on "Incoming!"  (Read 2661 times)

opyrt

• View Profile
No new images on "Incoming!"
« on: March 06, 2012, 02:47:07 pm »
Hi,

I'm new to this, so it might be I'm misunderstanding something, but it seems all the last frames of the "Incoming!" video are identical?  ???

srcrothers

• Science Team
    • View Profile
Re: No new images on "Incoming!"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »
hi, and welcome to solarstormwatch.

For incoming and incoming trace data are nly gathered on a best effort basis my a few stations around the world.  As a consequence of this some frames are missing and in producing the video these are padded by repeating the nearest available image.  There appears to be a seasonal effect in this since most of the stations are located in the northern hemisphere and of course the spacecraft are now at considerable distance from the Earth.

Thanks for asking though,

Steve

opyrt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »
Thank you.  :)

opyrt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:02:04 am »
I think I just found out why this is happening. It seems that if I never restart my browser, I continue to get the same Incoming sequence every time I play Incoming. I'm using FireFox. And there is no webproxy that could create such problems.

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:16:27 pm »
How frustrating. There is also the glitch in Incoming where at the end of the video it reverts to the very first frame. Can be very confusing!

Trixie64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:08:57 am »
I seem to be getting the same video on incoming wherther I restart my browser or not (IE). Also, I'm not sure what I should do if there's more than one possible storm. Should I mark up the one nearest the end of the video, since that will be the latest or should I mark the first? Or the inbetween?

srcrothers

• Science Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:58:26 am »
I wonder if perhaps you are seeing identical videos or just very very similar ones.  We only get [at best] one frame every 40 minutes in the video that is added to the end of the video you last saw so nearly all the video is an exact repeat; that start of the video is always on a day boundary so that start only changes once per day.  Hopefully you should all see the message "you have already seen the latest data" if you attempt three incoming traces in quick succesion.

We had considered retiring the incoming process since with the gaps in reception of the data the timestamps that we get are quite vague bu the feeling was it still gave quite a nice sense of the bigger picture.

As for the question of what storm to mark - we encouraged people to do the latest one since the drive was to do predictions - if you feel though that you have already fitted that and want to fit another please feel free.

I would encourage as many people as possible however to look at "incoming trace" for our actual predictions - this is a bit less spectaular in being clicks on a static image but suffers less from problems caused by missing data and in pratice is the datset actually used to make predictions. 

Hope that helps

Steve

Trixie64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:24:55 am »
Thanks Steve. I tend to have a go at everything, but I'm running out of incoming traces!  ;D