Author Topic: Solar irradiance data  (Read 3744 times)

I-Robot

• View Profile
Solar irradiance data
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:34:37 am »
Hi guys,

Does anyone know where I can find the most detailed solar irradiance data? I want to have a look at the patterns within each solar cycle.

BTW, I've just arrived at solarstormwatch and I'm loving being able to view the incoming images. Exciting stuff.  :)

Cheers

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Solar irradiance data
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:32:41 pm »
Hi I-Robot (loved the book!) welcome to Solar Stormwatch! :) Glad you found us. Incoming is my favourite too. As for the irradiance data - not sure but I'll do some digging. Someone on the forum is bound to know.

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:35:26 pm »
I'm sure you've already done this but a Google search on "solar irradiance" brings up some useful looking links. This for example. And this - fascinating stuff!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:38:00 pm by jules »

I-Robot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:16:20 pm »
Thanks for those links. I forgot to say I was really after data in text/spreadsheet form that I could work with but you've pointed me in the right direction - SORCE has what I need.

http://lasp.colorado.edu/sorce/data/tsi_data.htm

Cheers jules  :)

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:37:50 pm »
Glad you found it. I could lose days on that site..... ::)

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 07:25:26 pm »
If you're looking for more data, another excellent data archive is http://spidr.ngdc.noaa.gov/spidr/ 
Figuring out how to get data out the first time can be an adventure, figuring out what you want, but after that it's straightforward enough. 

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:05:46 pm »
I think I've just gone into geek overload........ :D
Thanks for the link Quia - I may be some time.

george helio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 08:42:49 pm »
Thanks for those links. I forgot to say I was really after data in text/spreadsheet form that I could work with but you've pointed me in the right direction - SORCE has what I need.

http://lasp.colorado.edu/sorce/data/tsi_data.htm

Cheers jules  :)
Yes, this is a great sight.  You can select most any day and wavelength spread, then have it plot it or download it.  The data sets begin around Oct. 2003 and are suppose to be almost current.  For some reason, I am having trouble with the data from the last year or so.  Also, from one computer, at least, I can download the desired data acceptable to Excel, but otherwise it is in a text format, which requires wavelength separation from the energy value.