Author Topic: Is it just me or is the forum slightly odd?  (Read 3396 times)

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is it just me or is the forum slightly odd?
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:41:31 am »
Has anyone noticed anything odd about the forum? I have. For example I have no icons when sending PMs and the pop-up alert has stopped alerting me to new messages. I also am permanently locked out of SSW on any computer using XP. I have access with Vista and Windows 7 (but still no PM icons). Weird.

Just me?

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or is the forum slightly odd?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 02:05:56 pm »
That s very weird.
Icons have also disappeared when replying to a post.
No problems on the other fora, as far as I can see.

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:31:26 pm »
So they have!! Time to call in the experts!!

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:38:17 pm »
I've asked Arfon to take a look. Meanwhile if anyone is locked out and can read the forum only as a guest - watch this space!

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 06:32:24 pm »
Hmm that's interesting. I never had any sort of pop-up alert informing me of new messages. I always only noticed them by the number displayed next to the "My Messages" link. Is that something that needs to be configured in the account settings? Or is it browser-dependent (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0 here)?

What Icons while posting messages do you mean? The buttons for inserting smilies, links, images and the like? If these were gone today then they're back for me at the moment.

cheers

P.S. I have a long-running issue with logging in from my cell-phone. Until two weeks (or so) ago I couldn't log in from the WAP-optimized site but at least from the full version. Now I'm totally locked out. But that's, of course, not the matter here.  ::)

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:11:55 pm »
Nope, smilies, etc are still missing !

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:50:34 am »
Everything seems normal over here, nothing missing.   ??? (Windows 7/Firefox 6.0)  Very strange!

lp, the PM popups are an account setting, you can get at it from your forum profile(I think that should work) under modify> personal messaging.  All sorts of options hiding in there, including popup and email notification of Private messages. 

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:57:49 am »
Arfon is as perplexed as we are.
I should have said that I am using Firefox 6.0 on 3 computers each running a different OS -  XP, Vista and Windows 7. Can't log in with XP (says my password is wrong). Can log in with Vista and W7 but all icons have vanished.

Spooky.....

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:11:25 am »
OK as of this morning Windows 7 / Firefox 6.0 combo won't let me log in either - I get the "password incorrect" error. No updates overnight so I have no idea what's going on. So if Vista goes the same way I'll be looking in as a guest!!!!

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 07:46:43 pm »
OK - I've been locked out of Solar Stormwatch forum since yesterday on all 4 computers in our house. Arfon experienced this same problem with logging on and found a solution that works.

Anyone reading this in the same position needs to delete all of the cache and cookies in your browser.

In Firefox go to Tools then clear recent history and select cache and cookies and click Clear now. I chose the Last 4 hours from the drop down list and this worked for me.

In Internet Explorer this is a 2 step process. Cookies - go to Tools then Delete browsing history. Select cookies and click Delete.
Cache - go to Tools then Developer Tools and click the Cache tab at the top. Choose Clear Browser Cache and Yes to the pop-up message.

Hope to see people returning to the forum soon!!!