Author Topic: To Begin  (Read 1739 times)

dosey

• View Profile
To Begin
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:25:11 am »
 Hello All! I'm just a newbie. I find the project amazing. I have only found one "light bulb" so far. I am not finding the project as easy to use/move around as, for example, the Icehunters project. Please could we have a few more simple directions for people like me? Did anyone else find it difficult to get started? :-[

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: To Begin
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:01:39 am »
Hi dosey and welcome to Solar Stormwatch!

Solar Stormwatch is a little different from the other zooniverse projects. There is a greater variety of tasks and you really do have to take note of the tutorials and example videos. Some of the data we use are also not as refined as in the other projects. "Incoming" and "Incoming Trace" use fairly raw beacon data - it looks rough and pixelly but is sent straight from the Stereo spacecraft to us with very little tweaking and a new frame is added every hour. This is real-time solar science! Takes a while to get your eye in but well worth the effort and quite exciting to be involved in. Many of us pick our favourite tasks and stick to them but you can have a go at all of them - it's up to you.

Once you have completed the training for "Spot" you can have a go at "Spot", "What's That" and "Incoming" and you'll find some helpful "how to" videos on the actual screens for all of the above tasks. There is also training for the new "Track It Back" task but it seems to have a few performance issues (and I can't actually use this at the moment) so as you are new I would concentrate on the above 3 tasks I mentioned and watch the videos.

You might find this index of features useful too when doing "Spot." And there's a SSW flickr site with more example pictures.

"Spot" and "What's That" are updated now and then and serve to keep a record of past storms. The team want these classified as our clicks enable them to get a better idea of speed and direction of storms. The tasks that are used for current storm predictions are "Incoming" and "Incoming Trace" and both come with explanatory videos accessed from the relevant task pages. If you spot a storm on these your name will go on the list here which team member Steve updates in this thread.

The science team are just beginning to get some results together too. Have a look on the blog here and here. All this helps increase our knowledge of solar storms and how they behave and it's all down to you (and the rest of us! ;) ) And the Sun is showing signs of waking up after a prolonged minimum so things will soon get even more interesting. So are you up for something a little different? Hope so!

If you have any questions just send a mod a PM or ask here on the forum.

tastiger

• View Profile
Re: To Begin
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 03:27:42 pm »
Also, if you click the "Spot and Track Storms" link on the top, you will get to a full list of the tasks and an easier way to click into them.