Author Topic: Hello from a new Zooniverse staff guy!  (Read 2609 times)

DZM

• Zooniverse Community Staff
    • View Profile
Hello from a new Zooniverse staff guy!
« on: October 09, 2014, 07:48:09 pm »
Hello, Zooites of Solar Stormwatch!

My name is Darren--DZM here on the Solar Stormwatch forum--and I've just joined the Zooniverse team. I'm working on several projects here at Zooniverse HQ, but one of my key roles will be staying around these boards as often as possible, looking for any ways in which I can help out. So I'm always interested in hearing from you--questions, concerns, ideas, anything!

I don't have any professional background in astronomy or science, but I'm excited to learn more from all of you who have been doing this Solar Stormwatch thing for a while now! It's awesome to see that the project has been so successful, and I hope that I can do my part to make sure that it remains so!

Anyway, I'll be poking around the forums... If there's anything that you think the new guy should know right off the bat, please share, and feel free to ask anything about me as well.

See you around!  :)

DZM

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from a new Zooniverse staff guy!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 08:45:40 pm »
This will be a bit weird, but once again, welcome to the Zoo and in particular to Solar Storm Watch ! :D

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:11:03 pm »
Hey Darren! Nice to see you on one of the "old" forums! Part of Solar Stormwatch is a little flaky right now due to the positions of the 2 STEREO satellites but we're still clicking when we can - and hoping for some new data. ;)

DZM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 09:23:00 pm »
Elisabeth, we have to stop meeting like this!  :-* Hehe, thank you again very much for the happy welcomes. Although, as I'll say to anyone who will listen, I really would prefer that we have an umbrella Zooniverse chat area in the Talk feature under our next rebuild... posting the same general announcement on 25 different projects was slightly inconvenient.  ::)

Thank you, Jules! I'm terribly sorry to hear that Stormwatch is having issues, and hope that gets fixed soon. (If you're in a rut, we do have a couple dozen other cool projects going on... !  8) )

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 10:01:45 pm »
Welcome Darren! 

25 projects to run around and post announcements to, you've gone on a whirlwind tour of the living museum of the Zooniverse projects!  There's a lot of variety in just the communication forms, the forums which don't exist on TOO many projects anymore, and then there's multiple versions of talk, with at least two different versions live, anything else?

DZM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 02:03:09 am »
Hi, Quialiss! Yes, it's been an interesting day!  :P You've pretty much covered it!

It's my sincere hope that before too long we will be able to unify all of our Zooniverse projects under a single forum umbrella, with project-specific subfora for project-specific discussion, so that all our awesome zooites can chat about non-project-specific topics (like the new interloper here!  :) ) in the same area! Of course, the current Talk system is seriously lacking in many, many ways, so I'm working with the team to build a better system using feedback from you users and from the science teams.

Thank you for the welcome!