Author Topic: Solar Plasma Bolts  (Read 3189 times)

deepskysteve

• View Profile
Solar Plasma Bolts
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:32:03 am »
Hi Everyone I have just joined this group. I am an avid amateur astro imager based in Sidmouth Devon UK, I belong to the Norman Lockyer Observatory here in Sidmouth I was imaging a few prominences last week and notice some odd occurrences firstly thinking it was birds flying passed my scope.
My set up is a Celestron C6 with an older Lumicon HA prominence filter set and the DMK21 Mono usb camera. I have made numerous videos which had to slowed down to about 1-2 frames per second to see the occurrences.

Please see link here the first few are at the correct frame rate (60FPS) but the latter ones are much slower.
all comments greatly accepted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiUFzEku8mQ

Steve

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Plasma Bolts
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:40:58 pm »
Welcome to Solar Stormwatch deepskysteve - glad you decided to join us! Those videos are certainly intriguing. I've seen planes, birds and insects zoom past my view when observing the Sun but nothing like that. It can't be swarms of insects unless they all fly left to right in an orderly manner! Have you tried to enhance a single good frame containing one of them? I've no idea what they are and would be interested to hear what others think. Thanks for posting!

deepskysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:49:39 pm »
Hi Jules, thanks for the comment and welcome,  I shall try and grab a frame or two, to inspect. will post as soon as I have one.

Steve

edwardsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:24:04 am »
hi deepskysteve Thank you for sharing that´╗┐ with us!!!!!!

(advertising links removed by mod)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:28:06 pm by jules »

TriDitty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:29:15 am »
Howdy Gents,

I am as green of a newbie as one can be.  I have started getting on these sites roughly a month ago and really do enjoy them.

It is important to know how green I am so that you can take what I say here with the appropriate grain of salt...

You guys are talking about the objects that seem to be flying into or around the Sun but isn't that tall plasma plume also an oddball?  Doesn't it' look pretty close to that viral video of the strange huge sphere that attracted a plume similar to this one  for a couple of days?  You know, the one that caused turbulence in the Sun's atmosphere (if we call it that) when it departed?  I have only been on this site for a month but I can't imagine a plume like that being very common.   It's tip even seems to be consistently flattened like the one in the video of the sphere.

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 01:03:08 pm »
Hi TriDitty and welcome to Solar Stormwatch! I image the Sun too and it's fairly common to catch birds, planes and satellites passing through the field of view "in front" of the Sun. If a flock of birds is far enough away it can look a little like deepskysteve's video. And the prominence is just a normal solar limb feature - prominences follow lines of magnetism and can end up in some very oddball shapes!

Glad you're enjoying the project and keep clicking! ;D