Author Topic: Track It Back: Spotting storms on the right/left in Ahead/Behind camera  (Read 3345 times)

gwynn898

• View Profile
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and to Track It Back. I'd like to ask whether anyone else has been noticing this issue when playing Track It Back: I'll get a Stereo Ahead video, and there is one (or more) very obvious storm(s) on the RIGHT (not the left), or vice versa (i.e., very obvious storm activity on the left in a Behind camera). I watch the entire video looking for the solar storm activity I am supposed to be seeing on the respective side, and I never see anything of note on the side where it's supposed to appear.
Now, the instructions say that "In general, it will be on the left if you’re looking at a STEREO Ahead picture, and on the right for STEREO Behind." What I'm curious about is: What does that "In general" mean? Does it mean that sometimes the activity's on the other side? When it's very obvious, is that the side I should be tracking?
Thanks for anyone who can offer insight into this vexing problem!

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hello gwynn898,

welcome to the forum!

I've experienced similar problems as the one you are describing. In general there is no decision yet by the zookeepers what we should do when there is more than one storm in the "correct" direction.

It would also be worthwile to officially allow us to classify a storm on the "wrong" side if absolutely no storm is visible in the "correct" direction. Maybe for the time beeing you should indeed take the liberty to do just that. I recommend, however, to search the "correct" side very thoroughly before choosing to classify on the opposite side.

cheers

chairstar

• Oh what a tangled web I'VE woven
    • View Profile
I'd like to add a point of not finding a "nothing to see" option on the Track it Back.  I HAVE found several clips where, no matter HOW carefully watch - I cannot find any storm on either side.

The way I've been doing it is to let the clip go thru to the end, and mark the end as start and end of storm.  As to marking the angle, I pick out a ray the has been in the entire clip, and trap that between the lines.

Am I missing something that what only looks like thick bright rays from the sun, lasting the whole clip, IS the storm I should be concentrating on?

ANY help on "NO storm / bright rays thruout the clip" will be greatly appreciiated!

Thanks

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi chairstar,

the "nothing to see" problem, too, has been mentioned before. For the EUVI videos there exists a "nothing to see" button. But indeed there should be one for the earlier classification stages as well.

I think the "solution" of marking the end point of the video as start and end point of the storm and using a streamer (thats the name of the "thick bright rays" as you call them) for measuring the angle is not should be avoided as it enters lots of totally wrong classifications into the data base.

You can stop classifying any time by clicking one of the links at the top of the page, that's what I do in these cases. It's a somewhat uncomfortable and incomplete way of stopping the classification process. But it avoids nonsense classifications in the data base.

Hope that helps.

cheers