Author Topic: Site update  (Read 8860 times)

x303

• View Profile
Site update
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:47:17 pm »
So, when does the site gets an update ? In latest discovery, the last storm discovered was more than a year ago and the storms in spot aren't up-to-date either. Latest are from 07/2010.  ::)

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Site update
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:42 pm »
Hi x303,

the "discovered storms" are those events that have been confirmed after thorough scientific analysis of our classifications for SPOT (or maybe INCOMING, too). As this thorough analysis requires a lot of time, final confirmations for storms cannot be expected to be "real time".

On the other hand, predictions are constantly generated based on our input in "INCOMING" and "INCOMING-TRACE IT". The latest example is from Thursday...

But maybe you're right, and it would be worthwile to link these predictions more prominently on the main page. Meanwhile they're announced regularly in this thread.

cheers.

srcrothers

• Science Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:41:44 am »
From the main page there is also a link to our twitter feed, and if you search twitter for "solarstormwatch" you can see who has re-tweeted messages based on your predictions [including ESAOPERATIONS!].

Steve

x303

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:33:08 pm »
I don't twit.....

srcrothers

• Science Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:00:26 pm »
Spot and what's that are now up to the end of December 2010 and shortly will be advanced to March 2011 - just need to get a few more days science data received to allow the completion of the final movies for April.

Sorry for the delays

Steve

x303

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:54:13 pm »
Spot and what's that are now up to the end of December 2010

That's odd. The ones that you can qualify (spot) are still somewhere between may and july 2010.

srcrothers

• Science Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:45 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, I have asked for this to be looked at.  It seems the "whats that" data made in out of the box but not the spot.

Steve

x303

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 02:45:00 pm »
Few things:

- Most images from Spot are still from early 2010, at least that's what i'm seeing.
- Latest discovery on the main page still says: 06 Februari 2010
- In TIB and click on 'most recent', latest storm is 191, which should be from 05 feb 2010. A day before my second complaint.

My question here is, do you guys & girls still wanna have your 'important' data or not ?! Then upgrade the data. Else close down the site completely....

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 05:47:32 pm »
Few things:

- Most images from Spot are still from early 2010, at least that's what i'm seeing.

Just had a look and was presented with 2 videos dated December 2010 though there are obviously still some older ones in there too.

- Latest discovery on the main page still says: 06 Februari 2010

Yes - it's been there too long. I've alerted the team. Thanks for the nudge.

- In TIB and click on 'most recent', latest storm is 191, which should be from 05 feb 2010. A day before my second complaint.

TIB was designed to allow the team to learn more about CMEs and was never meant to be real time. To this end analysing old storms is very useful. From TIB results the team can estimate the relation between angular extent and speed of CMEs, CME temperature and so on.

My question here is, do you guys & girls still wanna have your 'important' data or not ?! Then upgrade the data. Else close down the site completely....

All data collected on Solar Stormwatch are important. Remember it's the first project of its kind with the first science papers currently being written. Further data updates are planned - no need to close down the site! ;)

george helio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 07:33:22 pm »
All data collected on Solar Stormwatch are important. Remember it's the first project of its kind with the first science papers currently being written. Further data updates are planned - no need to close down the site! ;)
Keep on keepin' on! 

"Well we all shine on
Like the Moon and stars and the Sun" -- John Lennon.

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 07:40:12 pm »
GEORGE!!!! How nice to "see" you. You back for good? :D

Rookwings

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 09:16:45 pm »
"Close down the site completely"????
What an outrageous idea!
That'd be a cutting-off-the-nose-to-spite-the-face scenario!!!!!
Does someone need to have "crowd sourcing" explained? :P
 :o

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 09:54:22 pm »
 :D :D
Never fear there's lots of data to crunch yet. It's a fair question though - its not immediately obvious why we use "old" data. And sometimes updating datasets takes longer than planned. Gremlins...

Rookwings

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 08:28:14 pm »
Didn't anyone warn him not to feed them after midnight?
 ;)

x303

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 09:11:19 pm »
"Close down the site completely"????

I should have written 'close down some of  the sub-projects'.  If some projects don't deliver new data, what's the use of keeping them alive ? Just checked today, again (started this post a year ago)..... Did some 20 vids in spot to (re)check, all have dates between 02/2010 and 11/2010. No 2011, no 2012. Do I need to say more ?

What an outrageous idea!

Yeah, sometimes you need an outrageous idea to wake ppl up.