Author Topic: Track it Back  (Read 6735 times)

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Track it Back
« on: April 02, 2011, 06:08:32 am »
Welcome!  This is a work in progress of everything strange and weird in the new data we've been given access to for the Track it Back activity, along with some examples of CME's to get you started.  If you see anything else strange in the Track it Back data please do share it so we can try and figure out what it is!

CMEs
CME's look a little different in the COR images than HI, and very different in EUVI images, so here are some examples of storms.

February 3rd 2010 CME(You can look at this storm in Track it back by looking at the 'most recent' storms, it's the second one listed.)

EUVI Bottom right, the big loop flying free of the sun.This is almost the last frame that the event is visible.

COR1 This event starts off bright but quickly fades. video

COR2, on the right.  Here's the video, it starts at 7.50, there's also an event on the opposite side of the sun at the same time. Recognizing this event is made difficult by a data glitch leading to a freezing movie during the event.

COR1, same clip as above (right side, slightly top of the center, time index 14.70).

COR2 from the same movie as above, bottom right.
The event starts at about 2.40. This frame is from 3.20.
Observe the obvious lightbulb shape.
There are further events in this clip, for instance starting at 22.20

Another CME in COR1, very clear 'lightbulb' shape
Video

Cosmic Rays
Cosmic rays are something we didn't see in the HI images from Spot/What's that, but they show up quite often in the COR2 images especially.  In addition to the larger events like the two below, they're also the cause of the white 'noise' in nearly all COR frames, little spots and lines that appear and vanish from frame to frame.

COR2, Cosmic ray on the left, the long white streak. 
Also of note is Mercury coming into the frame on the right,
and two streamers of solar wind. 

COR1, faint cosmic ray in the bottom left,
inside the dotted circle.  Mercury is the
bright dot in the bottom right. 

Comets

The last hours of this little comet
captured in COR1, it's on the lower left.

A different comet in COR2,
this one needs no pointing out.

Spacecraft Rolls
These are all examples of what the data looks like when the spacecraft is rolling, which confuses the image processing pipeline horribly.  Images borrowed from The Stereo Science Center, you can also see videos of all three of these events there, along with the HI2 data, which we only look at on SSW as J-maps in the two Trace it activities.
HI1(Spot, What's That) dataCOR1 dataCOR2 data

Particle Strikes
A lovely example of a particle strike from the SSC, this is what the big particle strikes look like.  The smaller, single particle strikes often seen in What's that are probably related to the first grouping of strange events here.  The second, fuzzier, fainter group is still up in the air as to what they are. 

Cor2

HI1 of the same event

Other Events Part 1
All of these were seen in this clip of COR2. Attention! They are not necessarily all of the same type and origin! They have just been grouped due to somewhat similar optical appearance.

Time index 08.80

Time index 10.20

Time index 15.70

Time index 17.80

Time index 18.60

Other events Part 2
All of these were seen in this clip of COR2. Attention! They are not necessarily all of the same type and origin! They have just been grouped due to somewhat similar optical appearance.

Time index 07.20

Time index 20.10

Time index 23.30

Time index 36.10

Time index 41.70

Time index 53.00

Time index 53.30
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:08:40 am by Quialiss »

aurel

• View Profile
Re: Track it back
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:27:34 am »
I just did track it back for the first time just now, really like it but in the last task I am a bit lost or at least not totally sure. The first question of the last task (when does the Solar Storm start?), when looking at the pictures below, should I mark the 4th or the 5th one?

The second question (where does the CME originate from), I guess I shall mark the area right at the ejection? not where the sunspot (the thing marked in the green circle in pic 1-3 is a sunspot right?) originated from?

Thanks for helping out an inexperienced user ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:29:13 am by aurel »

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Track it back
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:00:31 pm »
Hi Aurel,

I would mark the 4th frame you've picked out, it's the first one where you can definitely say 'hey, something's happening here!' and put the box right around that bright flare, where you've circled in green on the previous frames. 

And yes, the bright spot you've noted is probably a sunspot.  It's definitely an active region, and when those get big and intense enough, they make sunspots we can see in visible light.  (The EUVI images in the last two questions in Track it Back are in the Ultraviolet-Xray range of light)

aurel

• View Profile
Re: Re: Track it back
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:10:07 pm »
Thanks  a lot for your answer. I did mark the sunspot as source but took the 5th image after lots of thoughts - didn't really want to abort the process as i spent quite a bit time and given how these crowdsourcing projects work I guess being 1 frame off isn't really bad, but in future I'll take your advice in mind

Rookwings

• View Profile
Re: Track it Back Examples
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:06:40 am »
This is very helpful, thank you, but to anyone [like me] having trouble [using firefox, if that makes a difference]
viewing the whole thing, just zoom out twice and get the reading glasses out  ;)
It wasn't until I got to the bottom of the post and found the scroll bar that I realised what to do  :-[
I only came here originally to look for somewhere to post an example I'm having difficulty with  :)

Rookwings

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 03:05:38 am »
Are you asking for examples to be posted here, or in the other Track It Back thread?
Just in case, I have this:
http://www.solarstormwatch.com/favourites/4537
Which contains flashes and sparks in most of the frames,
for example: 2.70, 11.10, 12.30 etc. etc. etc. are all flashes, which occur throughout the video,
at 30.30 is a sneeze at 5o'clock - presumably stars flickering,
at 20.50 a dog hair position 3 o'clock, at 27.60 another dog hair position 10 o'clock - from sun dogs? :P
but what can only be described as Armageddon at 10.20!
Is that due to a spacecraft roll, please?

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 08:40:01 am »
The events you pointed out look like cosmic ray strikes to me, SOHOhas a COR2 instrument rather like the ones on STEREO so they've.. well I don't know if anyone has done a study on them, so I don't know if they're 'well studied' but certainly well observed by all the comet hunters cursing them for being distracting..
As for the event at 10.20, I don't know either.  It doesn't look like a spacecraft roll. The change in brightness would seem to indicate a glitch in the subtraction.  I'm not sure how the COR instruments react to the jarring particle strikes that STEREO B receives, more investigation required...

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 04:28:45 am »
lpspieler has made some beautiful animations of comets in the COR instruments, including an elusive comet in COR1.  All I can say about it is that I'm really glad we're not being asked to look for comets in THAT data.  In COR2, though... That's lovely.  :)  They've been sneakily snuck into the examples post, go take another look.

GMichaelE

• View Profile
Re: Track it Back
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 09:24:24 am »
Hello !

I'm new to this trace it back and gets a bit puzzled now and then.
To day I made a few and it all went fine until the last one (for now at least) all went fine until the EUVI image, so far I had spotted a CME at the lower right quadrant (stereo behind) but at the EUVI image it shows up in the upper right quadrant  :o as the video have been flipped upside down some how and nothing showed up in the lower right quadrant, how come ?

BR

michael

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 11:45:07 am »
As far as I know the videos are not flipped but hopefully someone who has more experience of Track it Back will comment as it is the one task that won't play nice for me. I suppose it could be that your CME is just not visible in EUVI. :-\

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 12:21:32 pm »
The videos are all in the same orientation.  It's possible for there to be 'stealth' CME's, where there really isn't much visible in the EUVI images, which is why there is a 'none' button available when you're presented with the choice of which of the four wavelengths the storm is most visible in.

GMichaelE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 01:52:44 pm »
Tanks for your replay's , its clearly a stealth CME there so 'none' button on that one.

I'm surprised thou, that there seams to be CME's that 'only' shows up in EUVI images, but thats probably just tells how much I know about this lol