Author Topic: COMET COLLECTION  (Read 100490 times)

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Comet collection
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 10:54:29 pm »

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 11:04:25 pm »
two comets in stereo ahead  :o
both lower right corner, just underneath the solar activity.
first one appears at 0.00 until 1.20, second one becomes visible at 38.40 until 44.00
http://solarstormwatch.com/favourites/306

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 11:46:37 pm »

yankeegal01

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 01:35:25 am »
How do you report something like this?  If you look at the video at around 5.00 you will see something moving away from the sun, right next to the sun (around 3 o'clock) and it continues until the end of the movie, ending up center screen.  Its so small it could be missed with a single click say of comet.  So I "recorded" it about every second or so as a comet.

Woudl that have been the correct way to report it?

Anyone have any idea what it is?  It doesn't have a tail, and I don't think it's a planet because it "moves" "downward" in the video, not a straight line.  Can I officially say I have a UFO?  :o (Meaning unidentified, and not an intelligent life.  ;D)

http://solarstormwatch.com/favourites/319
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:38:15 am by yankeegal01 »

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 10:09:35 am »
Hi Yankeegal01
It is an odd one. It looks a bit cometlike, but somehow it's a bit off !
I don't think it is necessary to record it every second. If something gets flagged as a comet I'm sure the Zookeepers will pick up on it.

ulis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 12:22:50 pm »
2 comets. Both in the upper half, very near the sun.

http://solarstormwatch.com/favourites/346

The first one is visible from 07.70 till 10.50. The second one from 19.70 till 20.80.

algwat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 11:45:33 pm »
Gidday Ulis and all,

These artifiacts look like optical flares that bright planets (Venus and Mercury) cause in these imagers.

As far as comets go, here is a good list of most of the larger comets and brighter sungrazing comets that you could check against 
  http://www.rkracht.de/secchi/comets.htm

Who am I? well I have been downloading a lot ot the Stereo data searching for comets in particular, with some success
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100116.html
This was my best one so far. Joined the forum to see what all the good noise is about, looks great.
Here to help if I can. 
kind regards, Alan Watson

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: COMET COLLECTION
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 12:06:13 am »
Welcome algwat. :) Thanks for the links. Congrats on the discovery! :D Hope you enjoy the solar stormwatch project.

And I've added your link to the APOD thread. :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:58:41 pm by jules »

voyager1682002

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 08:56:29 am »
Very very faint one in Stereo Ahead at about 4.90 - 5.20, lower right.

http://solarstormwatch.com/favourites/409  :D

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 09:22:59 am »
How do you report something like this?  If you look at the video at around 5.00 you will see something moving away from the sun, right next to the sun (around 3 o'clock) and it continues until the end of the movie, ending up center screen.  Its so small it could be missed with a single click say of comet.  So I "recorded" it about every second or so as a comet.

Anyone have any idea what it is?  It doesn't have a tail, and I don't think it's a planet because it "moves" "downward" in the video, not a straight line.  Can I officially say I have a UFO?  :o (Meaning unidentified, and not an intelligent life.  ;D)

I think this may be a particularly eccentric asteroid, I can't think of anything else that would have an orbit that inclined and be that bright.  There's a listing of all the brighter asteroids potentially visible in the HI cameras here but my eyes cross when I try to match up pixel coordinates to your UFO.     :o

algwat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 10:36:33 am »
gidday,
Most things this bright will be planets. Asteroids are much fainter, only the perhaps the top ten asteroids will be dectable in these type of images Can you post the date stamp for the video sequence? I suspect this is Mercury.
regards Algwat

srcrothers

• Science Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 10:37:39 am »

I think this may be a particularly eccentric asteroid, I can't think of anything else that would have an orbit that inclined and be that bright.  There's a listing of all the brighter asteroids potentially visible in the HI cameras here but my eyes cross when I try to match up pixel coordinates to your UFO.     :o

I think a single comet report would be fine, but may I congratulate you on a wonderful observation. If I can work out when it was taken I will try and see if I can get an identification.

cheers

Steve

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 11:46:04 am »
So I wonder if that is the cause of the "thick arc" in the video?

EDIT - just had a look at some of the reported "thick arcs" and can't find an associated rogue comet / asteroid / planet like body. ???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:53:55 am by jules »

yankeegal01

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 03:28:29 pm »

I think a single comet report would be fine, but may I congratulate you on a wonderful observation. If I can work out when it was taken I will try and see if I can get an identification.

cheers

Steve

Well meanwhile, lets try to figure out what its not and turn this into a learning experience.  Why not? 
It's not a planet, for obvious reasons.
Its not the moon, again for obvious reasons.
Its not a star, again, obvious.
There's no possibility it could be the ISS.
It's not a satellite, as I'm not away of anything "man made" around the sun other than SOHO/STEREO.
I don't believe it's a comet, as there's no "tail" (although it would be opposite of what we traditionally see) and it seems it would be "captured" in the sun's gravity.
It's not noise or pixilation.  Its not a blob, a reflection or a streak.
It's not a flare, CME or any piece of the sun.
And no, it's not one of those "Death Stars" around the Sun.

So that leaves us with what it could be right?  (forgetting the UFO thang okay?  Lets be scientific here and not conspiracy theorists)
An asteroid and um... well.. um... an asteroid.
A rogue piece of space junk around the sun?  Not probable.
If we could find out the date and approximate time, then we might be able to compare it to SOHO to see if they have a capture of it.
Watch, it will turn out to be a Kreutz comet, but why wouldn't there be any kind of "tail"?  I always thought comets had tails when they were around the sun.

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 03:33:06 pm »
If it's in your favourites yankeegal01 right click on the thumbnail and the file name contains the date. Let's do some digging!