Author Topic: Track it back - Bugs and Technical issues  (Read 18117 times)

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Track it back - Bugs and Technical issues
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 03:18:04 pm »
There are still problems with TIB - I can't use it al all, others can. Probably best to pick another task until things are sorted.
(Incoming Trace It is looking interesting..... ::) )

lasantine

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 11:50:41 am »
Hi!  I'm new here, only been doing this for a couple days.  Still in the "this is just sooooo awesome" stage. (does it end?)

I hope I'm putting this in the right place, I saw this question mentioned in an earlier post, but I haven't seen mention of it since.

Anyway, my question: In TIB, if there are multiple solar storms visible, what should I do? I just did my first, and I started out by noting the first storm I saw. Later in the video, however, there are more storms (some of which seem pretty impressive!) but I can't figure out how to record those as well.

Here is the video I am talking about: http://www.solarstormwatch.com/favourites/6158

Thanks!

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 01:09:12 pm »
Hi lasantine and welcome to Solar Stormwatch! :) It is pretty addictive so you're likely to be at that stage for quite some time!

The aim of Track it Back is to pick the same storm each time in the different wavelengths - and ignore all others which may pop up. TIB can be problematic - I still can't get videos to load in under a minute so don't do it at all. But if it's behaving for you then just try to stick with the same one storm per TIB.

The task that is producing the science at the moment is Trace It - so if you fancy a change your help with that would be appreciated!

Incoming and especially Incoming Trace help provide the CME predictions though due to the current positions of the STEREO spacecraft they can no longer provide predictions of Earth-bound CMEs but can be used to predict CMEs heading towards Venus and Mars - the effects of which the current missions around those planets could monitor.

lasantine

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 04:46:36 pm »
Ok, well, now I know- in the future I will maybe stick to the most dramatic event when I do TIB.

I am happy to do more Trace It, but let's face it- there is not much cooler than a 3-D spinning star spitting off jets of super heated gas.   :D

Hopefully someday we will be able to do TIB for all of the events in a clip.

Seeker2000

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 06:04:25 pm »
Hi jules!

A few questions about TIB:

1. Obviously it works (but not flawlessly) at least for me at the moment. But in contrast to all other 'challenges' there is NO record, how much of those you have done (or I don't see it).

Just today, I've done a few (complete) exercises of TIB but there is no record about that anywhere to see.

2. The other question or proposal is a pure technicality:

When you have to mark, how wide the angle of the storm is, when it reaches the dotted line, I do not understand what exactly is meant by that:

a) The width of the angle of the storm as seen AT the dotted line (as EXPLAINED in the tutorial video);

b) Or the width at this time of the storm at the central 'disks' edge, that 'covers' the sun (as DONE in the tutorial video);

It is usually not a big difference, but when following the a option, the angle is wider (at least from my perspective).

I may have 'gone' into too big 'trivial' details ( :-\), but as I experienced, only a slight change can produce very different results.

Thank you.

Denis