Author Topic: Track it back - Bugs and Technical issues  (Read 18618 times)

Rookwings

• View Profile
Re: Track it back - Bugs and Technical issues
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 04:45:01 am »
Thank you, jules  :D
I think I'm an everything fan, and I keep getting "distracted" away for hours by the fantastic links Quia keeps putting in her replies to me, also, haha.
 ;D

Tina

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 07:23:29 pm »
 ;D ;D
It's good to be distracted now and then.....I think... ::) ;)

tastiger

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 02:48:52 am »
There is an error with the January 22, 2010 storm in Track it back. It is missing the last 4 videos (the one with the red, yellow, blue, and green sun).

tastiger

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 12:27:15 am »
December 16, 2009 storm doesn't have any Track-It-Back footage.

tastiger

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2011, 12:35:14 am »
June 27, 2007 storm doesn't have Coronagraph 1 behind data.

shireen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 07:53:13 am »
i had a situation where a storm was seen on coronagraph 2 but not in coronagraph1. But there's no option to record the absence of a storm in coronagraph 1.

Also, I have a had cases where i'm looking at STEREO behind but there are no storms to the right. It did however have a big storm on the left (presumably pointing away from Earth). When it came time to measure the position angle, the section where i recorded the flare was shaded over, making it hard to see.

Can you provide another button for that says "nothing seen"?

Thanks,
  shireen

tastiger

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 10:50:26 pm »
i had a situation where a storm was seen on coronagraph 2 but not in coronagraph1. But there's no option to record the absence of a storm in coronagraph 1.

Also, I have a had cases where i'm looking at STEREO behind but there are no storms to the right. It did however have a big storm on the left (presumably pointing away from Earth). When it came time to measure the position angle, the section where i recorded the flare was shaded over, making it hard to see.

Thanks,
  shireen

Actually, we're not suppose to measure storms that go away from the earth. If it was shaded over, then it should be ignored.

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 11:31:16 am »

Thanks,
  shireen

Hi Shireen,

I must admit that I also often regretted when there was a nice big storm in the "forbidden" area that would be nicely traceable back to the start and there was no great storm in the allowed area.

I also keep wondering whether traced CMEs in the "forbidden" area wouldn't constitute valuable science data as well.

But that's how science can be sometimes: frustrating.
It pays back when interesting insights into emerge...

cheers

shireen

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2011, 06:22:03 am »
Hi tastiger and lpspieler,

sorry for not responding earlier ... been a bit distracted by an earthquake and tropical storms.  :o

Thanks for the comments. After writing that message, i realized what i had done wrong.

But I'm still mystified by coronagraph 1. Many times, storms in coronagraph 2  are not visible in 1. And there's no way to record that non-sighting. Can we get a 'no CME visible' button for it?

Thanks!
  shireen

ChrisScott

• Science Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2011, 10:32:40 am »
But I'm still mystified by coronagraph 1. Many times, storms in coronagraph 2  are not visible in 1. And there's no way to record that non-sighting. Can we get a 'no CME visible' button for it?

Hi Shireen,

Thanks for your time and efforts with this. I think a new button would be tricky at this stage. How about we set a standard for 'not seen' by setting the 'calipers' to the 12 o'clock position (ie at the top with no width between them). This would enable us to distinguish between observations.

What do others think?

Cheers,

Chris.

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2011, 02:52:22 pm »
I think this would definitely improve the situation because until now all one could do in this situation was to either abort the classification or classify incorrectly for all the instruments where the storm can't be seen

tastiger

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2011, 10:21:11 pm »

Hi Shireen,

Thanks for your time and efforts with this. I think a new button would be tricky at this stage. How about we set a standard for 'not seen' by setting the 'calipers' to the 12 o'clock position (ie at the top with no width between them). This would enable us to distinguish between observations.

What do others think?

Cheers,

Chris.

I think this is a great idea. This would definitely fix the current situation of "guessing" where the second one is supposed to be, even if there isn't really one in the second.  ;D

shireen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 05:32:53 am »
Thanks, Chris. I like that idea a lot.
cheers,
  shireen

shireen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 06:43:40 am »
hi ... another question. Are coronagraph A and B in sync? By that, i mean, is an event in A supposed to happen at the same elapsed time in B?

I've noticed inconsistencies. Sometimes, the events happen at the same elapsed time. Other times, I don't see anything -- in those cases, i'm not sure if it's because the frames are out of sync or if it's because event is visible in one coronagraph but not the other.

And what about the filter images? Does the elapsed time on the filter quartet match those in coronagraph A and/or B?

It would be useful to know what to expect regarding how the frames for the different data types are synchronized. It would cut down on confusion about what's going on.

Thanks!

cheers,
  shireen

Galactic Momma

• 40-something working mom with a science degree and a great love of astronomy and storms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 11:33:48 pm »
I'm wondering - is TIB supposed to show up on "My Solar Stormwatch" under the Data Challenge Stats, like Spot, What's That?, etc.?  ???  I ask, because I trained last night (my time) and played TIB a couple of times, because nothing showed up.  I also had some trouble at first getting the Coronagraph I video to load, but that might have been my wifi connection.  (Edit: Nope, it's not my wifi. The December 22, 2009, storm doesn't want to load Coronagraph I video.  :( )

Thanks,

Galactic Momma
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:42:21 pm by Galactic Momma »