Author Topic: Track it back - Bugs and Technical issues  (Read 18137 times)

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Track it back
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 07:40:37 pm »
I lost the storm I initially marked in subsequent videos - there was no storm at that location any more! So I had to just click anything to mark the beginning and end just to move on.
I experienced this too. If I loose a CME in EUVI that's less of a problem because I can click "none". But if I loose it in other instruments I have to mark random times and shapes.
Also I'd like to have confirmation that the videos from different instruments are temporally aligned -that is - time index 10.0 in the COR2 video refers to the same "real world" time as time index in the corresponding EUVI video. Without this alignment any search strategy would become nonsense.

sadly, TIB is unplayable for me.
Well for me the loading times are not perfect but bearable. Each video takes about the same time to load as an ordinary SPOT viddeo. Of course for each classifying task that is multiplied by 3 (Cor2, COR1, EUVI).

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 01:25:53 pm »
Since today, when I want to re-play one of the videos I have already classified for the current storm, the little player window will always open with the HI video independently of which video I actually wanted to see. In the attached screenshot I actually clicked COR2 instead of HI.

Now that I've started playing around with TIB a little more I find myself losing storms in close to 100% of the time in one instrument or the other. When I found a storm on the "correct" side in one instrument I fail to find an associated event for the next instrument at the right time (namely slightly earlier) and at the same side of the sun. What I often find are events at the same time or very slightly later than in the previous instrument or at the right time index but on the opposite side.
Also because of the obligation to mark storms only on the "correct" side depending on whether it's in ahead or behind causes a huge loss of information. See for instance the giant CME in this video which was "forbidden" to mark.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to first mark the times and shapes of all the CMEs in all the instruments and then work out a second exercise where we try to associate them?

anned75

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:34 pm »
Try track training again.  That happened to me too.  Once you see your badge, don't click off right away but wait 30 seconds.  See if that helps.

taysha

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »
hi,, i am new to this site, how do i go to trace it back? also, how do i classify correctly? i am 12 and i usually rush things.

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 04:07:13 pm »
Hi taysha,

welcome to the forum. The exact name of this classification is "Track it back". There are several ways to access it. After logging in to http://www.solarstormwatch.com/ you will see a number of gray arrows. One of them is titled "Track it Back". Clicking it takes you to the game. I'm assuming however that you haven't completed the "Track it Back Training" yet. It's the gray arrow left of the "TIB" arrow. You are obliged to do this training first. Don't worry, it's more of a very basic instruction instead of an exam.

In any case you can click the "Spot and track storms" link at the top right of the pages. From there you will also find a link to the training and to TIB.

As I said the training is only a very basic instruction. Much more thorough information is contained in this video by the zookeepers. It should give you a much better impression of what you are to do. I really recommend watching it.

In the very first days after the game was released the movie was not yet available so we as forum moderators put together this information post with examples of what people are to look after and with examples of other interesting things we found while classifying. Feel free to post screenshots of your interesting finds in this thread. You can also post videos using the method described here.

cheers

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 11:12:59 am »
Right now, the TIB videos won't load  :(

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 07:50:50 am »
TIB is unusable, the new problem being, that the buttons won't update after I've answered a question. This happens at different points during the classification but it happens almost always, and then I can't finish classifying. See, for instance, the picture below. I should be asked for the times/exact position of the CME in EUVI. Instead the buttons for BLUE/GREEN/YELLOW/RED are still there. The interface doesn't react to clicking these buttons again.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:19:23 am by lpspieler »

tastiger

• View Profile
Re: Track it back - Bugs and Technical issues
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 02:37:08 am »
I'm having a less-serious problem. I want to help out more, but a problem on my end is that it would let me access a storm I have already done so I don't know whether I double-classified a storm or not (I.E., when choosing a storm, I did Feb. 7th, and then I checked to see if I could access it again, and I could. I am worried whether in the future I might click on one I've already done and double-classify it). I'm holding off until improvement are announced.

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 01:05:57 am »
I'm having a less-serious problem. I want to help out more, but a problem on my end is that it would let me access a storm I have already done so I don't know whether I double-classified a storm or not (I.E., when choosing a storm, I did Feb. 7th, and then I checked to see if I could access it again, and I could. I am worried whether in the future I might click on one I've already done and double-classify it). I'm holding off until improvement are announced.

There's actually no harm in double-classifying a storm.  Before SSW came along Chris Davis(Who you will see on the forums occasionally giving hints about when the first SSW paper will be published.. :D) would sometimes measure the same storm 10 or so times to try and figure out the subjectivity of his own measurements.  By no means would I suggest doing the same storm in Track it back 10 times in a row(I think I would go insane), but you're not doing any harm to the data if you accidentally redo a storm. 

Quia

srcrothers

• Science Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 10:00:00 am »
Each analysis is tagged with your zooniverse-id number, and we check for any significant bias in the results.  We can then average user results individually before averaging them collectively so by classifying the storm multiple times you are much more like Chris than you would be in putting a bias on the whole population.

Steve

tastiger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 01:59:53 am »
Each analysis is tagged with your zooniverse-id number, and we check for any significant bias in the results.  We can then average user results individually before averaging them collectively so by classifying the storm multiple times you are much more like Chris than you would be in putting a bias on the whole population.

Steve
So classifying multiple times doesn't hurt the data?

Rookwings

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 05:22:28 am »
This looks like a lot of fun, and I've tried several times a day to play Track it Back, but my pc's having none of it.

I'm sure it IS me this time, and I'll give details of my setup so my problem can be confirmed, if anyone knows  :)
I've got an ancient Gateway pc, 192 mb RAM, 700 mhz running speed, with a mobile broadband dongle running through a hub, connected to my only [low speed] usb port. [Now you all know why I call him "Ugg".]  ;)

What keeps happening is Flash Player going on strike whenever I get to the EUVI part of the task.
It doesn't crash, as such, just doesn't do anything any more after that, so no pictures loaded in the 4-image window.
I have watched it in my processes in the task manager, and the plugin is at zeros. No message that it's crashed; no loading of videos.
Is Track it Back going to have to wait until I can get a better system, and if so, which needs replacing first, please?
 :-\

Tina

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 06:26:19 am »
So classifying multiple times doesn't hurt the data?
Nope, no harm done at all. 

Is Track it Back going to have to wait until I can get a better system, and if so, which needs replacing first, please?

While your PC is definitely worthy of being called Ugg it's probably not what's stopping you from doing Track it Back.  :D
Have you tried updating your Flash Player?  You can check your version here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
and get the newest version here: http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

You might also want to check to see if your web browser is up to date, most of them autoupdate if you let them but it's always good to check these things when you're having trouble.

Quia

Rookwings

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 07:15:26 am »
Thank you, Quia  :)
Ah, it sort of IS Ugg's fault then  ;)
While I do have the latest Flash player, I had to revert back to Firefox 3.6.16 because version 4.0 caused multiple freeze problems during the whole hour that I was trying it, and I turned off updates as well. The most recent version was not designed with the likes of Ugg in mind at all., and IE is right out of the equation  :D
Oh well, I shall have to wait until Ugg is retired after all.
I'm patient  ::)

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 08:36:48 pm »
Don't worry Rookwings - I have a fairly high spec Vista laptop which does not like Track it Back one bit! Everything is so slow to load I have given up. When I have more time I'll have a good poke around and get to the bottom of it but meanwhile I'm a Trace It fan! :)