Author Topic: Tech problems with Trace It  (Read 4876 times)

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tech problems with Trace It
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:23:02 pm »
The interface in general runs smoothly. The only problem I have is the same as with all the other challenges:
  • I load the game in one browser tab.
  • While I wait for the page and the data to load I change to another browser tab to surf on another web site.
  • When I return to the game tab the player hasn't loaded data so I must reload the entire page.

cheers

lolinda

• View Profile
Re: Tech problems with Trace It
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:48:48 pm »
The interface in general runs smoothly. The only problem I have is the same as with all the other challenges:
  • I load the game in one browser tab.
  • While I wait for the page and the data to load I change to another browser tab to surf on another web site.
  • When I return to the game tab the player hasn't loaded data so I must reload the entire page.

On my Mac, loading only takes about 5 seconds.
Linda
cheers

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:18:32 pm »
It's not that loading the page and the data takes so long (it takes longer than on your system because where I'm staying I have to use a mobile USB device for surfing). When I stay on the game tab the page and the data load sufficiently quickly.

The point is that the player seems to refuse to load any data at all when I change to another tab while the page is loaded.

eatyourgreens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:44:12 pm »
It's not that loading the page and the data takes so long (it takes longer than on your system because where I'm staying I have to use a mobile USB device for surfing). When I stay on the game tab the page and the data load sufficiently quickly.

The point is that the player seems to refuse to load any data at all when I change to another tab while the page is loaded.

Some web browsers restrict you to only having two open connections at any one time. You may be running into that limit, so the active tab downloads but background tabs don't.

Jim

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:48:25 pm »
That'll be it, thanks.  :-[

eatyourgreens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:58:19 pm »
If you're using Firefox, this extension lets you increase the number of available connections.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/327/
You'll still be limited by the overall speed of your internet connection, though.

Jim

watersnake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 06:28:35 pm »
Hi  Techies  ; I am really enjoying the challenge with trace it even though manual dexterity when using a mouse ,and equal proportions of patience are required . My game player tech issue after 15+ games, is the blue label at the bottom of the J-Map 'Approximate start area of storm'.
It comes up in the space where one wishes to place a point mark ,thus requiring a tad more patience than is ever anticipated . Could it possibly be moved to the 'down below the J-map' position?
 :-*

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 09:33:36 pm »
Hi Jim,

thanks for the hint. I just installed the add-on and tried to set the number of allowed connections higher. Unfortunately, the player still refuses to load the movie if I don't keep staring at the same browser tab all the time.  ???

Galactic Momma

• 40-something working mom with a science degree and a great love of astronomy and storms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 08:18:43 pm »
My game player tech issue after 15+ games, is the blue label at the bottom of the J-Map 'Approximate start area of storm'.
It comes up in the space where one wishes to place a point mark ,thus requiring a tad more patience than is ever anticipated . Could it possibly be moved to the 'down below the J-map' position?

I agree with Watersnake on this - the popup label is annoying, especially when it covers the beginning of what I'm trying to trace.  Moving it down or making it disappear when clicked on would be an improvement and my eyes would thank you.   ;D  Otherwise, really enjoying Trace!

Sylverone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:51:28 pm »
My game player tech issue after 15+ games, is the blue label at the bottom of the J-Map 'Approximate start area of storm'.

I agree with Watersnake on this - the popup label is annoying, especially when it covers the beginning of what I'm trying to trace.  Moving it down or making it disappear when clicked on would be an improvement and my eyes would thank you.   ;D  Otherwise, really enjoying Trace!

I would like to add my support to this suggestion. I think I could trace these storms twice as quickly (with no loss of quality) if that "Approximate start area of storm" message didn't keep interrupting my work. If there must be a popup, it should appear below, where it will not interrupt the natural flow of the task at hand.

EDIT: I would also like to mention that occasionally I get a message, even though I can click the "Play Trace It", and get a new image most of the time. It's something like, "You're on a roll! You've looked at all the available data. You can do a different task, or wait a few weeks until we have more data for you to work on". But if I click "play trace it", usually it gives me something to work on. This gives me the impression that I might be working with obsolete data. If that's not true, this is an error that deserves attention.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:33:45 am by Sylverone »

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 10:20:12 am »
Hi silverone
about the message in trace-it (you've been busy ...)
This is what Quia found out
Geek hat on.. Looking at the code that pulls up the trace-it images, it grabs a random one, and checks to see if you've done it.  So if you've done a lot of them, you will occasionally get this message.  The message is a bit misleading, but at least you're always looking at a new storm.

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 12:31:04 pm »
Hello Sylverone - fancy seeing you here! ;D The "Approximate start area of storm" marker was tweaked when the games were in beta to its current format and we have had virtually no comment on it since. It does occasionally seem intrusive I agree and I doubt if there are plans to change it. But I can always ask!