Author Topic: **HOW AND WHAT TO CLASSIFY**  (Read 18030 times)

gimre

• View Profile
Re: **HOW AND WHAT TO CLASSIFY**
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 06:45:52 pm »
I haven't noticed any differences in frequency of particle strikes between A and B, but if there is, you can bet it will show up when they look at all the data, and heads will be scratched.   ;)  Your 'fast lines' sound like particle strikes to me, they're often dim, fuzzy, and otherwise hard to spot.  You can see some examples here.

I'll give you an example: http://solarstormwatch.com/favourites/1095

There is a "major" particle strike at 13.10, but there are several other 'things' at 00.80 (coming from upper right 1/4 screen), 01.00 (a blur in upper right corner), 03.00, 04.40, 04.90 and 10.80 . Do all these count as particle strikes, or I shouldn't bother marking them all up, only the major ones, like @ 13.10 ?

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »
I'll give you an example: http://solarstormwatch.com/favourites/1095

There is a "major" particle strike at 13.10, but there are several other 'things' at 00.80 (coming from upper right 1/4 screen), 01.00 (a blur in upper right corner), 03.00, 04.40, 04.90 and 10.80 . Do all these count as particle strikes, or I shouldn't bother marking them all up, only the major ones, like @ 13.10 ?

Yes, those all look like particle strikes to me, mark away!  The discovery of so many faint particle strikes was unexpected, Chris Davis talks about them a bit in a blog post here.

gimre

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 08:13:15 pm »
Posting this question a bit reluctantly, I don't want to seem too stupid ;) but...

How come when "playing" SPOT, there are pairs of videos of which on one you can see the Milky Way, but not on the other one ? Those satellites should look at the same thing, right? Stereo A looks at the "left side" of the Sun, Stereo B at the "right side", at the same time. At least that's how I understand it. Shouldn't the Milky Way be really big? ;) and "behind" the Sun, so it appears on both videos?

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 08:53:30 pm »
Hi gimre,

the viewing directions of the satellites cross each other roughly somewhere  on the line between sun and earth (which is located "in between" the satellites). So if one satellite sees the Milky Way, the other one looks in a totally different direction.

Hope this makes some sense to you...

cheers

gimre

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 09:38:48 pm »
Hi gimre,

the viewing directions of the satellites cross each other roughly somewhere  on the line between sun and earth (which is located "in between" the satellites). So if one satellite sees the Milky Way, the other one looks in a totally different direction.

Hope this makes some sense to you...

cheers

It does. I'm just not familiar with things and distances, and I though how can like 15-20 thousand km distance between the two satellites looking at something that's 140mil km away matter when the Milky Way is sooo far away.

But then... I found this: http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/where.shtml and I realized that angle between the two satellites is much greater and that they aren't really near the Earth (anymore). So like you said they really are looking in completely different directions. Just a little bit more and we'll see them on the videos like "something else", hehe.

That link is a real eye-opener btw. :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:37:30 pm by jules »

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 11:38:52 pm »
Just tweaked your link gimre - hope you don't mind. :) A stray comma had crept in and the link didn't work.

gimre

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 07:08:30 am »
Didn't notice, thanks.

Anaclaudia

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 11:15:33 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I really liked this project, it's very it is very educational and explanatory. Thanks for all the videos and games that help us understand the solar storms.

A hug to everyone!  :D

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 12:33:23 am »
Aw - thanks Anaclaudia! Good to have you on board. Welcome to Solar Stormwatch! :)

lolinda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 05:58:29 pm »
Regarding how to mark blocks?  How will you know the difference between marking the beginning and end of a block or marking two separate events? The time stamps look the same.

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 05:47:15 pm »
Regarding how to mark blocks?  How will you know the difference between marking the beginning and end of a block or marking two separate events? The time stamps look the same.

Hi lolinda, I'm afraid this issue must remain unresolved for the moment. As far as I'm aware, our answers are mainly analyzed by hand. The zookeepers will have to take the bitter pill and differentiate on their own.

cheers

Myska

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 09:15:48 am »
Can I give an advice?
Try it and if it's OK make it official.
If I'm wrong delete this post.
It work for me here and I use it in my daily job helping me choosing colors and shapes

When you are looking for something different like comets, asteroids close your eyes almost completely. With less light, the eyes will activate the cells sensitive to very weak light, the ones we use at night. The changes in luminosity are much more obvious. When you find something different rewind and watch the movie at full details
Thanks

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:26 pm »
Hi Myska,

advice is always welcome.

With your proposed method, however I'm not so sure if it will be of much help. A short attempt has turned up that closing my eyes almost completely also makes my eyesight very blurred. This doesn't exactly help in finding those tiny dots.

The idea of using the adaptation of one's eyes to the dark can be put to good use anyway. What about classifying in a room that's not too brightly illuminated? This might have a similar effect.

cheers.

Myska

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 07:11:02 am »
You can do something else
Change the background of the webpage with the movie
Make it green/blue, maybe black, something dark,
Take care that some combinations are worst than white
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_color
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristimulus#Tristimulus_values

pevik

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 10:44:19 pm »
Hello!

I am new at zooniverse projects and i enjoy it, as everything common to the topic. It is double pleasure (or even triple), because i can explore, learn and help at the same time! Thank you for that :)

However, I have a question, you can call it a problem.

Problem 1:
I am new here, and i found it a little bit hard to accomplish jobs if i do not posses necessary skills (experiences) yet.
What is happening when we, newbies, who do not posses good skills yet, make big mistakes? What if there are enough newbies marking the same video (or classifying the same galaxy) , and all of them will make the same mistake? Could the mistake be considered as truth? Is there anyone who verify those data?
It is general question, i wish to know also what happens if i make mistake while classifying galaxies (I am hoping that you know the answer). "Classified galaxy goes directly to our database"  they said. That drives me crazy ;)
I am a little bit aware of making mistakes, don't want to cause any problems in future.

Problem number 2:
I am playing "Trace it". As far as i understood it correctly, my job is to find longest line, which starts above the blue bar ("Aproximate start area of storm"), even if there is huge blast close to the bar. So, I am ignoring _everything_ near the blue bar, no matter how close it is, right?

Prob 3:
"Trace it" again. What if a picture is illegible, even more than this: ?

Should i just press "Nothing to see", or refresh the site to check another one?

Thank you for your patience while answering this, hope you do not mind answering such a basic questions.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:45:57 pm by pevik »