Author Topic: Evolution of "Achievements & Badges" and " Groups & Collaborators" ?  (Read 15379 times)

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution of "Achievements & Badges" and " Groups & Collaborators" ?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 04:01:28 pm »
**waits MOSTLY patiently for Track it Back** As someone who hammered out 60 spots, 60 What's Thats, 60 Trace its, 5 Incomings, and 5 Incoming Traces in my first 6 hours as a member, I'm WAY stoked for Track it Back... This site has made work just a little more tolerable... HOORAY!

Well how's this to be going on with?

Go Gavin!! ;D ;D
Big welcome to Solar Stormwatch.
Keep clicking. Save the Earth!

tastiger

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 09:59:29 pm »
I have done only about 14 "spots", and so far none of them have been solar storms, and I'm sure that at least a couple were DEFINITLY solar storms. Is there just a lack of people on this project, or are things slow at base, or what? I'm trying not to sound impatient, but this is putting me off of doing any more of the "spots". :(

hederker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 10:07:41 pm »
don't worry, i signed up today and i already found 3 solar storms, just a matter of luck ^^

tastiger

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 10:12:44 pm »
don't worry, i signed up today and i already found 3 solar storms, just a matter of luck ^^
Sorry, I meant they weren't identified as Solar Storms in My Solar Storms section, even though on most of them I marked solar storms, and a couple I KNOW were solar storms (the other ones a little debatable). :-[

lpspieler

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 10:20:55 pm »
Hello tastiger and hederker,

welcome to the forum.
Every video must be looked at by a sufficient number of people before analysis of our classification can start. In theory, it could take a while for a video to collect the required number of independent classifications.
To ascertain that any of the events marked by SSWers is actually a solar storm requires some complicated analysis.
I suspect if classifications by different users for one video are differing too strongly (for instance concerning the start and end times) then the analysis pipeline might even end up thinking that there was not really an event...
Also results are usually uploaded in batches.

These are just a few reasons as to why there can be quite some delay between your classification and the official announcement that a storm has been confirmed as such.

cheers

tastiger

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 10:35:38 pm »
Hello tastiger and hederker,

welcome to the forum.
Every video must be looked at by a sufficient number of people before analysis of our classification can start. In theory, it could take a while for a video to collect the required number of independent classifications.
To ascertain that any of the events marked by SSWers is actually a solar storm requires some complicated analysis.
I suspect if classifications by different users for one video are differing too strongly (for instance concerning the start and end times) then the analysis pipeline might even end up thinking that there was not really an event...
Also results are usually uploaded in batches.

These are just a few reasons as to why there can be quite some delay between your classification and the official announcement that a storm has been confirmed as such.

cheers
Okay, but I'm still going to hold off on the "spot" exercise until later. There are the other games I can have fun with! ;)

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011, 10:36:46 pm »
Well I was going to say everything lpspieler said but he beat me to it.   :D  I'll add that if the quick feedback is something that you really want, results from 'Incoming Trace' come in every time that there is a storm big enough to get an accurate reading on speed and direction, and are posted here on the forum and on the twitter feed, which is visible on the homepage of SSW. 

Quia

srcrothers

• Science Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 10:19:42 am »
"What's that has an even slower cycle, but is likely to be the first to make a published paper out of your results.

Steve