Author Topic: New name, same person!  (Read 3226 times)

ChrisScott

• Science Team
    • View Profile
New name, same person!
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:54:21 pm »
Hello everyone! Sorry for the woeful silence of late. So, what's been happening? Well first off, you'll see I've changed my name! The reason for this is also partly the reason I've been so quiet on the forum lately - My wife and I have started a family and I've been struggling to keep up with the whirlwind that is parenthood!

Meanwhile, while we haven't had any new data up on the site for a while now (apart from the real-time data in Incoming and Incoming Trace-it) I can assure you that your clicks are being analysed. My PhD student has been carefully analysing your predictions from the real-time tracks and is in the process of writing these results up for publication. Another researcher at the University of Reading is developing software to automatically track CMEs in j-maps and is using your clicks to compare the output of his code with. Automatically identifying features is a tricky but vital business when trying to forecast solar wind conditions and your clicks are an important part of the training process!

I hope we can get some more data up for you to be playing with soon but meantime, keep an eye on the real-time stream. Even though the STEREO spacecraft are now heading towards the opposite side of the Sun from the Earth, they were still able to detect the Earth-directed CME that occurred on the 25th February that resulted in widespread aurora on the 27th. It was seen right across the UK (though I didn't see it :( )

Thanks again for all your enthusiasm and support.

Chris Scott (formerly Davis).

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New name, same person!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »
Hi Chris Scott and welcome to Solar Stormwatch !  ;)

Good to know that our clicks are still being recorded and used !

And looking forward to some new data!

All the best to you and the family !  ;D

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:55:23 pm »
Good news indeed! The forum may be quiet but we are still clicking away. (Hundreds of us in fact - I just checked the stats!) ;)

Quialiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:57:28 pm »
Thank you for the update Chris!  It's nice to know what the current status of the project is. 

It's been, what, four years since SSW originally launched?  Seems like yesterday... That's a lot of data we haven't looked at(except for via incoming trace)! 

voyager1682002

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:30 am »
Great to hear the update on the project! Thanks Chris  :D

JCH.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:39:36 pm »
thank you for update
im new (very new) and iv been looking for something like this for  a very long time but didn't think that my novice mind could ever contribute and at first i thought that this was just a desert site with no real activity but what appeared to me as an old game
any tips (from anyone) help and any additional learning to be had would be greatly appreciated
thank you
jc

gwnashjr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 06:50:15 am »
Starting a family will keep you busy.  I have a new granddaughter, number 7.  She is keeping me busy!!! Congrats!!! I am so glad our clicks are still important. 

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:00:06 pm »
Hi JCH,
Solar Stormwatch is very much alive and kicking - it's just the forum that is very quiet. Don't let that fool you though as the science is still going on behind the scenes as Chris says. Hopefully we will have new data soon and Chris is always very good at keeping in touch! As for tips, well the team are looking at the live data now so if you concentrate your efforts on Incoming and Incoming Trace (my personal favourites ;) ) then that would help enormously. If you get stuck the video tips which appear alongside the tasks are very helpful - or just shout for help on the forum as the mods still check in regularly.

Meanwhile, you can also follow Solar Stormwatch on Twitter @solarstormwatch or Facebook if you like that kind of thing!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:02:17 pm by jules »

ChrisScott

• Science Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 11:57:33 am »
My research assistant, who is using trace-it data to compare with automatic CME identification code he is working on, tells me that there is still a need to track events in the trace-it data. For each time we display a jmap which slices through the CME in a random direction so there are many jmaps per CME, some of which haven't been tracked by very many people yet. For those events where enough tracks exist, Luke showed me a cool movie showing how we can use your clicks to reconstruct the whole CME front as it expands into space, being distorted by varying solar wind speeds as it goes. I'll try to get him to share some of his work via the forum.

Keep clicking (especially the trace-it and incoming trace-it data!)

Chris. 

Hi JCH,
Solar Stormwatch is very much alive and kicking - it's just the forum that is very quiet. Don't let that fool you though as the science is still going on behind the scenes as Chris says. Hopefully we will have new data soon and Chris is always very good at keeping in touch! As for tips, well the team are looking at the live data now so if you concentrate your efforts on Incoming and Incoming Trace (my personal favourites ;) ) then that would help enormously. If you get stuck the video tips which appear alongside the tasks are very helpful - or just shout for help on the forum as the mods still check in regularly.

Meanwhile, you can also follow Solar Stormwatch on Twitter @solarstormwatch or Facebook if you like that kind of thing!