Author Topic: CME's caused by dark filament eruptions  (Read 2897 times)

Michael Mozina

• View Profile
CME's caused by dark filament eruptions
« on: October 22, 2013, 12:56:29 am »
http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/mpeg/latest_1024_0211.mpg
http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/mpeg/latest_1024_0304.mpg

It looks like we're about to get a dark filament eruption in the northern hemisphere, just to the left of the center of the solar disk over the next few hours.

I know that there is a prediction system related to CME's that are caused by sunspot activity, but is there a prediction system for CME's that are caused by dark filament eruptions?

Michael Mozina

• View Profile
Re: CME's caused by dark filament eruptions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:01:44 am »
The filament in the northern hemisphere has started to destabilize, and has risen higher into the atmosphere over the past couple of hours.  This is typical behavior right before they tend to "blow".   IMO the best two SDO wavelengths to view them in are the 211A and 304A wavelengths, 211A being my favorite.  The orientation of the filament would suggest that the CME will most likely blow up and away from the planetary plane, and slightly upwards. 

Michael Mozina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:09:20 pm »
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/LATEST/current_c3.mpg

FYI, the dark filament did indeed erupt and the mass blowout can now be seen in the Lasco and COR images.

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:16:09 pm »
Thanks for the updates Michael. I'm never observing when these events happen!  >:(

Michael Mozina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 06:17:49 pm »
Thanks for the updates Michael. I'm never observing when these events happen!  >:(

Ya, I hear you on that point.  I'm typically fast asleep when all the 'good stuff' happens. :)  In this particular case I'd been watching the filament for days for signs of it becoming unstable, and I happened to catch it at the end of my work day just as it started to make it's move.   

I know that NOAA has a "prediction system" that is related to sunspot configurations and x-ray flares, but is there even a prediction system that is related to dark filament eruptions?  It seems to me that the sunspot configurations give us some valuable insights into active region behaviors, but they don't really apply well, or tell us much about dark filament eruptions IMO.  Filaments aren't even always associated with active regions in my experience, and they don't always create a particularly large x-ray spike when they erupt.

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:27:22 pm »
Exactly - they are very unpredictable. I've watched some avidly in the hope they'll go pop just to see them gently break up and disappear. I did once image the Sun to find that half an hour later the filament I captured blew....   :'( :'(