Author Topic: STORMWATCHER CAFE  (Read 214085 times)

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
STORMWATCHER CAFE
« on: February 20, 2010, 12:42:23 am »
Well every stormwatcher has to have somewhere to relax and chat! Pull up a chair, grab a cuppa and introduce yourselves. :D

I'm Jules and I'm helping to moderate the forum. I've been interested in astronomy as a hobby for longer than I care to remember and became fascinated by solar astronomy after seeing the sun in H alpha through a solar telescope a couple of years ago.

So - what brought you here?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:44:01 am by jules »

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: STORMWATCHER CAFE
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:22:40 am »
Morning Solar Storm Watch !  :D

stellar190

• Space nutter in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:19:25 am »
Good morning ;D

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 11:24:04 am »
Hi Stellar  ;D

stellar190

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:35:10 am »
How is everyone? ;D

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 11:35:20 am »
Hi guys, well I’m not solar storming. It would just be too much to fit in (although there was a really awesome talk at Astrofest “Weathering solar storms” by Jim Wild (I think) that very nearly made me join)
I’m here to have a little look round and of course to wish you well with the new forum.  :)  ;D

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 12:06:41 pm »
Hi guys, well I’m not solar storming. It would just be too much to fit in (although there was a really awesome talk at Astrofest “Weathering solar storms” by Jim Wild (I think) that very nearly made me join)
I’m here to have a little look round and of course to wish you well with the new forum.  :)  ;D

Jim Wild's talk was really good wasn't it? And I only just made it too! Go on Echo have a go - you never know you might be the one to spot something really amazing and new out there!

And thanks for the good wishes! :)

Hi Els and Stellar! You made it to the sunny side!! :D

echo-lily-mai

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 01:01:43 pm »
The other day on Twitter I said I needed some sunshine. Maybe this is the place to find it! ;)

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 01:47:10 pm »
Ah Twitter - Don't think I will resist much longer. How are you getting on with it?

stellar190

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 02:25:35 pm »
I'm getting on great with it, go on Jules, join twitter, you know you want to :D ;D

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 02:31:40 pm »
I'm getting on great with it, go on Jules, join twitter, you know you want to :D ;D
I do and I will. Summing things up in a short concise sentence or two suits me!! I just need time (which I will have in another week or so! ;D) to get my head around all the different terms. Someone should produce a glossary! Maybe there is one out there..... ::)

ChrisScott

• Science Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 07:37:27 pm »
Well every stormwatcher has to have somewhere to relax and chat! Pull up a chair, grab a cuppa and introduce yourselves. :D
So - what brought you here?

Hey, nice idea for a thread Jules! I'll bake some STEREO biscuits next time I come (NASA are producing cookie-cutters in the shape of each of their missions and I managed to blag a STEREO one :)

For those of you who are just joining, I'm Chris, the Project Scientist for the STEREO Heliospheric Imagers. I'm the one looking like a rabbit-in-the-headlights in the introductory movies! I hope this Cafe has a wireless network so that people can still play with the data :)

I'm really excited about what we are all going to find out together!

Chris.

x303

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 07:56:09 pm »
How many ppl are fans (like me) of "the sky at night" ??? I think this show is an example how you explain difficult stuff the easy way.

;D

jules

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 08:12:12 pm »
How many ppl are fans (like me) of "the sky at night" ??? I think this show is an example how you explain difficult stuff the easy way.

;D
I think you will find you are among friends when it comes to The Sky at Night x303! ;D It does a fantastic job of making astronomy accessible.

x303

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 08:16:27 pm »

;D
I think you will find you are among friends when it comes to The Sky at Night x303! ;D It does a fantastic job of making astronomy accessible.
Why aren't we *all* then paying patrick moore a visit and ask if we can use his little telescope ?!  ;D